Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

The final 53: a prediction. Aug 27th edition.

• Still one more preseason game to go for those on the bubble to make a case..and maybe 2 more practices. Cut downs used to be in waves , no longer.. so...

Lets take a look at where this goes:

Quarterback.

Keep: Russell Wilson, Geno Smith.

Cut: Paxton Lynch, J.T. Barrett.

Man, Im leaning toward Lynch for the exact reason everyone else leans towards Geno. Geno has played a lot. And never done well. Lynch feels like he has more potential to improve. But thats not how it will go. Geno gets the job.
    Hey, JT, thanks for helping out.

Running Backs.
    Keep: Chris Carson, Rashaad Penny, C.J. Prosise, Nick Bellore, JD McKissic.

Cut: Travis Homer, Xavier Turner, Bo Scarbrough.

I didnt think the Seahawks would be fooled by this past game, but listening to PC post game nearly tear up.. makes me think Prosise makes the team. Bellore hasnt shown all that much but hes the only FB and they probably need one. I think they want to keep Homer, but the returner situation makes me think McKissic... Bo and Homer to Practice Squad if they dont get claimed.

Wide Receiver
    Keep: Tyler Lockett, DK Metcalf, Gary Jennings, David Moore, Jaron Brown, John Ursua.

Cut: Jazz Ferguson, Amara Darboh, Terry Wright, Malik Turner, Keenan Reynolds.

From Day 1 of camp on Ive been disappointed with this group as a whole to be honest. I thought we had a bunch of quality people to choose from but given opportunities to step up and be difference makers few have really seized the chance. Jennings probably deserves to be cut but the reality of being a 4th round pick does matter, and he showed a bit in the last game. I even the think the penalty he got will be seen as a positive in a sense. David Moore.. I still really feel that the way he faded badly last year weighs heavily in the coachs' minds.. from day of the new year Jaron Brown was treated as the other starter despite Moore having a better year last year statistically. Now the injury. He could be the surprise cut with injury settlement. Or an IR stash. Theres a chance 6th WR isnt on the roster right now. Kenny Stills is just one of a few veterans out there who may become available. Jazz has faded and is too muchof a DK Metcalf clone and hasnt seemed to really gel with the "1s", but may not make it to the practice squad.. Keenan is savvy and smart but Ursua probably takes his spot.

David Moore makes opening day roster but then goes to IR so he can come back. His spot is taken by a veteran cast off I suppose.

Tight End.

Keep: Will Dissly, Nick Vannett, Jacob Hollister.

Cut: Jackson Harris, Wes Saxton.

IR: Ed Dickson

Dont think Ed's injury is bad enough to do this, but you cant just cut him so..

Offensive Line:

Keep: Duane Brown, D.J. Fluker, Justin Britt, Mike Iupati, Germain Ifedi, George Fant, Ethan Pocic, Joey Hunt.

Cut: Jamarco Jones, Marcus Martin, Landon Turner, Brian Wallace, Jordan Roos, Elijah Nkansah, Jordan Simmons.

I thought this would go down to the wire but its really just sorted itself out. I was really excited for Jordan Simmons and Jamarco Jones but Pocic's development has really just made them expendable.

Phil Haynes hasnt done anything at all so he is eligible for the PUP. Almost forgot him.

Defensive Line:

Keep: Ezekiel Ansah, L.J. Collier, Poona Ford, Al Woods, Quinton Jefferson, Rasheem Green, Cassius Marsh, Branden Jackson, Jacob Martin, Barkevious Mingo.

Cut: Bryan Mone, Jamie Meder, Nazair Jones, Jay-Tee Tiuli, Earl Mitchell.

Suspended: Reed

PUP: Christmas

Man what an uninspiring bunch after the first couple of names. Id be opening to cutting Green if someone better came along and its said there isnt. I dont know how anyone looks at this list, thinks about some of the playoff games weve lost for lack of a pass rush and doesnt want to get Clowney or Griffin.

Linebackers:

Keep: Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Mychal Kendricks, Austin Calitro, Cody Barton, Ben Burr-Kirven.

Cut: Justin Currie, Jawuan Johnson, Juwon Young.

IR: Shaquem Griffin

I dont know. I could see them keep just 5 LBs and then BKK or Calitro is gone. Calitro has been so effective , but is he going to see the field? Griffin was given chances to rush the passer and its not working out. And sorry, missing one hand might just be too much to overcome at this level. Hes been slightly injured of late so hes a public relations IR stash and he gets one more chance to make the adjustment to the NFL and come back next year.

Cornerback:

Keep: Shaquill Griffin, Tre Flowers, Akeem King, Neiko Thorpe, Jamar Taylor.

Cut: Jeremy Boykins, Simeon Thomas, Kalan Reed.

Another position I thought would be a battle til the end but circumstances have sort of decided.

Reed as showing signs of coming on and he is the darling of analytics and guys who think you decide a roster with numbers.. but hes banged up and will get cut with an injury settlement. Simeon Thomas still hasnt reached his full potential..he barely played in college, so I think they will Practice Squad him again and next year he could make the 53 man roster. Boykins hasnt played bad but its a numbers game and with some safety potential that can play corner, and the defense seemingly looking more and more like its just looking for players, not simply a position he will not make it. I could see Boykins get picked up somewhere.

Safety:

Keep: Bradley McDougald, Tedric Thompson, Marquise Blair, Ugo Amadi, DeShawn Shead,

Cut: Lano Hill, Shalom Luani.

I dont think Seattle really wanted Thompson to still make the roster, but here we are. Blair is more of a SS than a FS but they want him there, and no one else grabbed FS. Shead makes it because of his experience, work ethic, and versatility. They love Lano Hill but I fear it may be too little too late for him.

Special Teams:

Keep: K Jason Myers, P Michael Dickson, LS Tyler Ott.

• Ah, I was wondering about Shaquem. I think this may be his only chance to stay with the team. He hasn't done much of anything this preseason and he's seems to have zero buzz at the moment. I thought he was gonna rush the passer exclusively this season? The times I saw him when he played this preseason (and I was looking for him) he was dropping back in coverage like a LB.

Cj Procise I'm hoping will be traded. I don't know if he has had as high of stock as he does right now. I hope they do it fast too because he has gotten injured in practice and missed time before. Pete's (almost) tears be damned. One cat I do like is Xavier Turner. Everytime he has got the ball he gets yards. I just think he too redundant with Carson and Penny. If they consider Homer with the Procise, McKissic group I'd like to keep him around because... I guess because he's the unknown and he was promising in college. I'd like to see him adapt to the pro's and make stuff happen this year.

I'd like Jazz to stick around. We cut him we'll lose him I believe. I think he's building up the skills to be a complete receiver. He's only redundant to DK because of his height. A good receiver is a good receiver and Jazz is well on his way. Keep him around Pete!!

Cut Naz?? Wow. Boy I guess he fell off. For a while there people were talking him up. I thought he was kind of out of site because of injury. Maybe not though. I'll trust your judgement. You stay up on this stuff.

Yes!! Tyler Ott!! Championship!!

• There are surprises every year and what not..and Im just a guy in Tokyo writing my opinion so Im probably way off on some.

Jazz FELT right to me at first but watching him with the first team..those chances he gets to be out there with Russ.. I just wanted to see him make more of the physical gifts he has. I could see him staying if David Moore goes away..but its just a numbers game and what I think we all lose sight of is the #5 and #6 WRs are going to be kept for special teams at LEAST as much as for what they do on offense.

I want to trade Prosise as well..I want him to be part of the deal for Clowney. The Texans just lost their RB1.. but I dont know if 1 quarter of production versus 2s/3s is gonna boost him that high.

Naz.. cool name. No production..

and Shaqueem did get chances early in camp to rush the QB and then fairly quietly that experiment was dropped..so.. where does that leave him..?

• https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-make-roster-moves-adding-two-receivers

Darboh was waived and Naz was place on IR.

And... um.... the moves today leaves one open roster spot....

Not saying (cough Clowney cough) just saying.

Lol! This part of preseason is fun!