Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

The Mandalorian Trailer

• Looks good. I'm sold on Disney+.

• This Looks AMAZING! For some reason when I first heard folk talk about it I thought it was like a cartoon or something so I didn't pay attention...

A SERIES??!! Oh Hells Bells Yeah!! Looks to have some grit to it too. A bit of darkness.

Another cool thing is my wife already was gonna get Disney+ so I don't even need to beg.. er... uh... ask... no .... um... just order it without asking because I'm a man.

Anyways...

It looks Awesome and I'm all over this! Can't wait!

• Agreed. Looks really good. Man, even the imagination of IG-88 looks incredible.

There’s one point of the trailer that makes me wary — I am guarded about too much fan service.. but on the whole this looks well done and honestly I’m more excited about this than the next movie at the moment.

• Great trailer. Favreau said he wanted it to have the same aesthetics and feel to Tattooine in A New Hope. Gritty, weird, almost Mad Max-ish. It's going to be nice to have a live action series in the SW universe.

• My only fear (which is pretty small) is that The Mandalorian will essentially be the "best of Boba Fett" stories.

The one thing I cannot stand about the current fandom that I disagree with is the inability to get away from the OG Trilogy. I love them all but I don't need them rehashed.

Putting him on Tattooine is fine as long as it's not Boba Fett II.

• @sammyc521 said in The Mandalorian Trailer:

My only fear (which is pretty small) is that The Mandalorian will essentially be the "best of Boba Fett" stories.

The one thing I cannot stand about the current fandom that I disagree with is the inability to get away from the OG Trilogy. I love them all but I don't need them rehashed.

Putting him on Tattooine is fine as long as it's not Boba Fett II.

Agreed. I doubt it's Boba Fett, though I don't doubt we'll see him in the series at some point.

• @JGfromtheNW According to wikipedia, the Mandalorian takes place 5 years after ROTJ so that why I say "best of" in they take stories the Legacy series told about Fett and change it to this Mandalorian.

I wonder if he will be a bounty hunter from Mandalore (Star Wars: Clone Wars/Rebels) and if they cross over with some of those stories in this series. My guess is that they will do some nods but nothing overtly cross-overish.

• If it lasts 2, 3 seasons there will for sure be an episode where there is a mysterious Mandalorian rival with battered armor and maybe a prosthetic or something.. and 4,5,6 episodes in , and 1 episode before the big show down we will find out this rival is Boba Fett, escaped from the Sarlacc and bitter that everything he had known disappeared in the short time he was in the Sarlacc. No way they can resist that if they werent able to resist putting Darth Maul in everything because everything thinks hes so incredibly awesome..

Nevertheless, Im still interested in the series. A bit despondent right now as Ive found out Disney+ wont initially be available in Japan........

• Isn't it already canon that Boba survived the Sarlacc pit? Thought I remember that within the last couple years.

There's some people who think that The Mandalorian actually IS Boba, and that's why they've been so quiet about details about the Mando himself. Gina Carano (who plays Cara Dune) says she's most excited for "the big surprise" so there's obviously something big they're not telling us. Could be this.

For the record I don't think that's what it is, for lots of obvious reasons, and I kinda hope that's not it, but it's not out of the question.

• Maybe the Mandalorian is a Jango Fett Clone that was never lost in the Clone Wars?

Either way, it's a small thing. My whole issue is that I want them to build new characters that are worth caring about and not just looping in retreads.

Star Wars Rebels is a good example of creating an entire cast of new players that would sometimes loop in old characters to link the series overall. Rebels was not 100% dependent on the ties to the OG Trilogy and my hope is this show follows suit.

• Yeah, I mean, I'm all for them exploring the saga characters at points outside the trilogies, post-RoTJ specifically, but they obviously have to expand considerably if they want this to work long term.

• I would expect the Rian Johnson trilogy and the B&W trilogy to move much farther away from the Star Wars we're familiar with.

• I think theres a bit of a trap in Star Wars that Ive slowly come to realize.

You want Star Wars to feel like Star Wars.. but you dont want it to hang on the same limited themes.. so..how do you do that? One answer is to just make it sort of generic Space Opera and , although parsed, it feels to me more and more that this is what people want.

We dont "know" much about the Stars Wars galaxy because its not fleshed out, and for many, the EUs major failing was always that it didnt feel like the same universe at all.

It will be interesting to see how well these new series do.

• One of the reasons why I liked Rogue One so much is that it was a heist movie set in the background of Star Wars.

Hoping this is what we see for the Mandalorian. I just signed up for a 3-year subscription for Disney+ so I hope it's worth it because I'm stuck for the long-haul.

• @Veda-the-Moor said in The Mandalorian Trailer:

I think theres a bit of a trap in Star Wars that Ive slowly come to realize.

You want Star Wars to feel like Star Wars.. but you dont want it to hang on the same limited themes.. so..how do you do that? One answer is to just make it sort of generic Space Opera and , although parsed, it feels to me more and more that this is what people want.

We dont "know" much about the Stars Wars galaxy because its not fleshed out, and for many, the EUs major failing was always that it didnt feel like the same universe at all.

It will be interesting to see how well these new series do.

I definitely think the rub between making it feel like Star Wars and not rehashing the same plots/themes is what causes most of the frustration for casual fans. Yeah, TFA was in a lot of ways a redux of the Original Trilogy (not specifically A New Hope, IMO), but TLJ did a lot of things that we haven't seen on the SW big screen. IMO it had the highest of the Star Wars highs and the lowest of the Star Wars lows.

Personally, I really just want to see new stories and ideas on the backdrop of the SW universe. Like Sammy, I really liked Rogue One and Solo because they explored new storylines, new themes, added cool stuff we hadn't seen before (the train heist in Solo was really cool), but also added to the overall lore of the SW universe.

I've been 100% sold on all things Star Wars (minus Resistance) since Disney took over, but once the Skywalker saga ends, it's going to be time for them to really step up with their stories going forward. Anything with the SW name is going to have crazy high production value, soon they'll have to give audiences fresh ideas and characters or this whole SW Disney experiment will be a major let-down.

• Its interesting you talk about production value.. because I agree.. with the cash on hand available Star Wars is always going to have capable directing and high production value.

And so it boils down to vision and process. And thats tricky. There are some positives for sure for having Disney own Star Wars, but there are some disadvantages. One is that there is going to be a "committee approved" feel to things and some corporate PRing and what not. I want diversity and all that, but I want it organic within a story. I dont want the character lineup to feel like someone at a board meeting said "and we need a gay character and we need a black guy, and probably a black girl." Yes. We DO need those characters, but let it come out of the artist process.

And let the process involve more struggle. These days directors can literally do whatever they want, with the budgets , support crew and technology they have at their disposal. But has anyone ever said the best art comes out of the easiest process or conditions? If it were up to me Id ask JJ Abrams how much he needs to make his movie and then give him exactly half of that, and 6 months shorter than he thinks he needs, and 20% fewer people. Now go make your movie..make sacrifices, get creative, cut what you need to cut.. go through an artistic struggle to make your movie. and I bet its more interesting.

So thats my side rant! lol. Sorry to get off track. Since I was 5 years old in 1977 Star Wars has meant a lot to me. Im extremely invested in it. Way more than I probably should be. But here I am. And I want good movies that feel right, look right, and tell the right stories.

• @Veda-the-Moor said in The Mandalorian Trailer:

Its interesting you talk about production value.. because I agree.. with the cash on hand available Star Wars is always going to have capable directing and high production value.

And so it boils down to vision and process. And thats tricky. There are some positives for sure for having Disney own Star Wars, but there are some disadvantages. One is that there is going to be a "committee approved" feel to things and some corporate PRing and what not. I want diversity and all that, but I want it organic within a story. I dont want the character lineup to feel like someone at a board meeting said "and we need a gay character and we need a black guy, and probably a black girl." Yes. We DO need those characters, but let it come out of the artist process.

And let the process involve more struggle. These days directors can literally do whatever they want, with the budgets , support crew and technology they have at their disposal. But has anyone ever said the best art comes out of the easiest process or conditions? If it were up to me Id ask JJ Abrams how much he needs to make his movie and then give him exactly half of that, and 6 months shorter than he thinks he needs, and 20% fewer people. Now go make your movie..make sacrifices, get creative, cut what you need to cut.. go through an artistic struggle to make your movie. and I bet its more interesting.

So thats my side rant! lol. Sorry to get off track. Since I was 5 years old in 1977 Star Wars has meant a lot to me. Im extremely invested in it. Way more than I probably should be. But here I am. And I want good movies that feel right, look right, and tell the right stories.

Lol no worries for the rant, I think you're definitely right in regards to Disney handling these movies, and the SW universe overall. There's going to be more people and executives meddling, both because they want to create a movie that caters to the widest demographic possible, but also to protect Disney and their money-printing IP. There's definitely pro's and con's to just one guy being the ultimate boss (George Lucas) and then having basically a committee at Disney handing orders down.

I'm ok with the main saga movies being a little bit "safer" in their ideas and themes, the PT was already this way IMO, so what I'd really like to see going forward are these non-saga projects like The Mandalorian, Kenobi, the anthology films, maybe the Benioff & Weiss trilogy (though I doubt it because it's going to be the next big film series for SW), is for them to be ambitious and give us some tantalizing, mature, original experiences. Maybe it's just me, but I think a lot of long time SW fans want to see products that are made for adults -- movies and shows rated R or TV-MA. Give us real, adult themes and plotlines. That's really all I want right now.

• Don't mind me. Just resurrecting and old thread!

This got me so stoked to watch all over again!

Youtube Video

• I'm really excited for this series. I hope people's expectations aren't too high though. I get the feeling that a lot of the "old" fans think this is going to be the one to "get it right" and when they realize that it's just as full of call-backs and fan service as the new movies and it fails to engage and excite them in the same way that Star Wars did when they were kids that it's just going to be the same reaction of disappointment, anger and outrage that we've come to expect from this "fan" base.

• Also, get ready for the jokes and memes about there being nothing new to watch on D+ beside the Mandalorian. I can already see it coming.

• People love to complain about everything.

• 48 hours bros! Best case scenario, about 3 hours after the Seahawks give the 9ers their first loss of the season, I'll be about 2 beers in when I turn on the first episode of The Mandalorian. Please world don't end this weekend.

• So it sounds like the app launch won't actually be till 6am on the 12th so now I have to decide whether to sleep on it or stay up all night refreshing the Play store until I can log into that bitch.

• That's what I've been trying to figure out too, when is the site/app gonna launch.

6am on the 12th? What is this a store opening? Get with the digital times Disney.