Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Rumor: Ewan McGregor to return as Obi-Wan for Disney+

• alt text

Today’s report won’t likely come as a surprise to many people, but it is nice to hear. Rumors of an Obi-Wan Kenobi related project have been circulating since Disney bought Lucasfilm back in 2013. While it seemed to have started life as a standalone film, recent reports are that we’ll see Obi-Wan come back as a Disney+ series…Which is what I’ve heard as well.
    Update: Incredibly happy to add to this report that Deadline, Variety, and The Hollywood Reporter have all independently confirmed our story from this morning. Hopefully this means we’ll get some official announcement from Lucasfilm sooner rather than later.
    First let me say the Prequels are still awful. There's maybe about 30ish minutes that are worth watching out of the 6+ hours across the three movies.

I know it's in-vogue to hate on TFA TLJ but the Prequels are so, so awful.

alt text

• I dont hate on TFA. I hate on TLJ, which approaches the prequels but looks better and has more energetic directing so the flaws which are similar arent as obvious.

I never really was as into Ewan as Obi Wan as most so this doesnt get me overjoyed but on the other hand he is a good actor so..

• So as it turns out this is no longer a rumor but finally official. McGregor to reprise his role as Obi-Wan in a Disney+ series set to begin shooting in 2020.

As much as I don't like the PT, I don't believe that Ewan's Obi was ever the problem. This series has the potential to be very interesting or very boring. It also has the potential to be silly and unnecessary and stupid.

If they can avoid prequel style storytelling I think it will be ok. Hopefully they age him a bit, make it feel a bit more reasonable how he went from being 30 to 70 in 20 years. I'm hoping for a gritty, Logan-esque, story-driven show. Obviously Obi just living in a hut on Tatooine fighting off Tusken Raiders, trading with Jawas, watching over Luke from a distance sounds pretty boring. But I also think that him traveling the galaxy going on adventures, getting into fights, is going too far the other direction.

But somewhere in between that, learning more about the Force, learning to communicate with Qui-Gon, Mace Windu, maybe even Yoda, having to survive on a barren desert planet, struggling with the loss of pretty much everybody he knew, little bit of Luke watching, maybe a final boss type run in with Maul. Could be cool.

Kathleen Kennedy says the scripts are already written, so hopefully they had good people doing that and good directors in line to bring it together.

Youtube Video

• They did the Maul vs Obi Wan on Tatooine in Rebels.. (and its an amazing scene, so in depth..watch Obi Wan bait Darth Maul based on the Episode I fight.. ) so... hmm.

But there is stuff to cover potentially, and like you said Ewan was never the problem.

I guess this means we arent going to see the live action series of the original Cantina Band and their struggles to hit the big time..