Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

2nd Round 64th Pick - WR DK Metcalf

• alt text

And now they pick a WR... not my top-4 needs but the guy runs a 4.33 40?

And he looks absolutely ripped!

• Easily my favourite pick so far and doubt he'll be surpassed tomorrow. High risk, high reward guy. I'm just happy that after all these years we finally drafted a big WR. Lazy comparison I guess but he really does remind me of Mike Williams.

• alt text

“I was surprised that he came into our interview with his shirt off,” Carroll said. “I’m serious, he came in with his shirt off, and it kind of pissed me off, so I took my shirt off too. Not for long though.”

“Too long,” Schneider quipped.

• The Slag and Parley Forums

I think on Twitter and elsewhere I gave the impression I didnt want Metcalf. I didnt want Metcalf in the first or second round. Hes a good 3rd round receiver, with expectations to match. He isnt a WR1 , hes not a 5 tool player. He can run fades and go patterns and pronounced comebacks. He will need to learn route running and the whole route tree. Not sure how he will do against the Richard Shermans of the world at this point. Lots of tools but needs to learn the craft as well as he knows the weight room. Agility drills please. But gonna be some highlights from him for sure!

• @Veda-the-Moor I tell you what, Richard Sherman won't be tossing this guy around the way he used to rough up WRs back in the day!

This pick surprised me. Like most of us I was shocked at the his performance at the combine and because of that, I kind of written him off for the Seahawks. I think I resigned myself to the fact that, well up until now, the Hawks just liked smaller, speedy receivers and that the Big WR Pete always says he was looking for was no longer really part of the team design. I thought a few times "Damn, Russ to Metcalf would be tough AF" but never got to the point of wishing it to happen. I'm glad we got DK where we did. The value he'll bring to the team should be tremendous for years to come.

• The Slag and Parley Forums

Sherman won’t tough him up but Metcalf’s game is tailor made for Sherman to defend against.

I knew PC wanted a big WR.. I just think his offense actually runs better without one. Lol

• If this guy does anything to make the Seahawks offense worse it won't be because of his size, strength, speed, or his almost sixth sense for tracking the ball in the air and coming down with it. Physically speaking, all he can do is help. I know nothing's really that easy in the NFL, but Russ should be able to chuck the ball up to this guy all up and down the field all day long.

If he fails and hurts the team it will be mentally or emotionally (barring injury, obviously). He's known for sort of a limited skill set. While it's possible that those limited skills may be all we need from him to help us (@Veda-the-Moor think Daryl Turner), if he is able to expand that skill set he'll and we'll be better off for it.

Obviously whether any of these guys can actually succeed at the pro level is always a question mark, maybe a larger one with this guy than your average, but I think it's well worth the risk.