Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Rumor - Russell Wilson "wants" to get traded to the NY Giants

• Foxsports' Colin Cowherd is the originator of this rumor based on nothing but speculation at this moment.

“Everybody will deny it. It’s not good to be out now,” Cowherd said on his show. "But Russell Wilson’s wife is Ciara. She is a singer and an entertainer. She would prefer to live in New York. And the Giants need a quarterback, and there is nobody in the draft they love.

“A lot of things add up: Last year of Russell’s contract, his wife would prefer New York (because) Seattle is not an entertainment mecca. The Giants need a star quarterback to replace Eli. ... The Giants also have an offensive head coach, not a 66-year-old defensive head coach."

Wilson is 30-years-old going into his last year of his contract. The cost to going to be huge to re-sign him or to acquire him via trade. Based on his current contract and what he would make on the Franchise Tag in 2020:

2019 (contract)- $17M
    2020 (Franchise Tag) ~$26-27M
    2021 (Franchise Tag) ~$28-29M

To extend Russell Wilson beyond his contract you would have to spend at extend him for at least $75-$80M over 2020-2022. That's probably on the really cheapside of things too. I know people are floating around $35M a year, but that's beyond crazy... but I would still sign Wilson to that contract.

The value of Wilson should always be greater to the Seahawks than to any other team, but the cost to trade for Wilson would be insane. There is really only one time in modern NFL history where a franchise QB was allowed to leave via FA without his original team getting anything in return; QB Drew Brees signing with New Orleans in 2006.

Even QBs that have been traded to other teams have resulted in lack-luster results because any QB traded is not that good.

• The Slag and Parley Forums

Well..the rumor is that CIARA wants out, right?

Yea..cant make a music career in Seattle...right?

Pretty sure Wilson is smart enough to see things beyond the superficial.. having a great defense makes him a better QB. Having a coach that lets him be him makes him better. Seattle has put the right tools and the right system in place for him to succeed. He is elite..but not elites are the same. Wilson wouldnt get any more out of OBJ than he gets out of Lockett, if you are actually creating a system around his strengths and weaknesses.

Dont know if Russ will stay, but if he goes it wont be because of reasons like that.

Where are you getting those franchise tag amounts..? THIS year the average of the top 5 QBs salaries is 29.2 million.. and 120% of his 2019 CAP NUMBER would be just over 30 million. So the 2020 is 30 million which mean the 2021 amount is over 36 million in 2022. So...35 isnt crazy...

• @Veda-the-Moor said in Rumor - Russell Wilson "wants" to get traded to the NY Giants:

Where are you getting those franchise tag amounts..? THIS year the average of the top 5 QBs salaries is 29.2 million.. and 120% of his 2019 CAP NUMBER would be just over 30 million. So the 2020 is 30 million which mean the 2021 amount is over 36 million in 2022. So...35 isnt crazy...

I just entered in a Google Search and Overthecap.com was the first site that showed up.

0_1550855166772_13be6f4e-8561-4e36-8e31-836e49f6284f-image.png

I inflated them a little bit over their estimations. I know that people were talking about $35M for Wilson but I think that factors in it would be a contract for 2020 and not 2019. You are correct for the average but I don't think they factor in the bonuses or the average yearly number for the Franchise Tag, it looks like they factor in actual contract payment. That's why Wilson has a $17M contract for 2019; it doesn't take into account his signing bonuses. Just my guess.

ESPN.com has 2018's QB Franchise Tag at $23M.

0_1550855348598_92b3f5e5-63ee-4dce-9a1c-d7df55eeefab-image.png

• This is where I think the 35 Mil per year comes from. People are assuming Wilson will want to be the highest paid player in the league beating the Rodgers contract.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/29/aaron-rodgers-contract-extension-packers

"The four-year extension is worth $134 million, according to Rapoport. Rodgers will get $80 million of that by March. The previous record for the largest deal in the league was the five-year, $150 million extension Matt Ryan signed with the Falcons earlier this offseason that made him the first quarterback to make $30 million per season. Rodgers will make $33.5 million per season with his new deal."

• The Slag and Parley Forums

Firstly, I'm not a big fan of Cowherd...IMHO he's just a blowhard.

Why would Ciara want to go to NY to further her career. I'd think the West Coast would be better if your looking to promote your entertainment career. I seriously doubt RW leaves Seattle. Here he knows what he's got, someplace else who knows? Plus the NY media folks are way tougher than Seattle's. Could Mr Goody Two Shoes survive that crowd....not without a SB every year.