Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Malik McDowell injured

• alt text

Bad news... most likely not involving a car because they say "vehicular."

Also, harder to hide a car accident than something that happens on private property.

• "McDowell released a statement on Sunday afternoon to dispel any suggestion that his career will be at risk as a result of the injury.

“I appreciate all the concern regarding my health. I just want to clear the air. I am doing well and expect to rejoin my teammates in Seattle in the next few days. My injury is not life or career threatening as some have speculated. I am grateful for the support I have received from the Seahawks organization, my doctors and my family. You will see me back on the field in the near future. "

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/30/malik-mcdowell-i-will-be-back-on-the-field-in-the-near-future/

• The Slag and Parley Forums

ATV accident which is also a contract violation. Praying for a full recovery but he had to do better. Pete sounded pissed answering questions about it.

That is a pretty big bummer..

• @austinslater25 said in Malik McDowell injured:

ATV accident which is also a contract violation. Praying for a full recovery but he had to do better. Pete sounded pissed answering questions about it.

Latest report is saying that they will put him on the Non-Football Injury placement which means they will retain his rights for another year (since he may not get activated this year).

McDowell says it's not life/career threatening but that could mean he's just being optimistic.

Malik McDowell Statement

alt text

Most of the time I think I miss being young.. but man young men in particular can be dumb... hoping this ends up just being a minor speed bump in his career.

• Banned

Around 19 I was racing a snowmobile ( Arctic Cat of course) across frozen deadfall. Sans helmet of course. All of a sudden I found myself tumbling thru the air pondering the location of the 'Cat and the location of the sky, which kept changing. I broke a Seiko which was on my wrist and it left an ugly bruise. As far as I know I injured nothing else, save for one of the ski mounts... thank god for small branches and powdered snow, eh?

When you're young and in the moment your perspective is different than that of a sports fan who is sitting and pondering your life.

Point being... you had to be there.

• I don't think anyone is saying that McDowell shouldn't have fun but as outsiders who probably forget what it would be like to be 20 and suddenly flush with cash what stupid shit we would have done.

If anything, it helps the rest of the Seahawks think about things a little harder about their non-football activities.

• Banned

I did plenty of stupid shit WITHOUT a large sum of money. God knows what I would have done with funding.

True.. with all the dumb stuff I did dirt poor, I don't really know if I'd be alive if I'd been able to have more funds to achieve my dumbest aspirations or to feed my 3am sleep deprived impulses!

• Bob Condotta article:

In an expected move, the Seahawks on Thursday announced that rookie defensive lineman Malik McDowell, who suffered head and face injuries in an ATV accident two weeks ago, had reported to camp and has been placed on the Non-Football Injury list.
    But that does not necessarily mean that McDowell is any closer to taking the field or playing this season as coach Pete Carroll remained vague about the status of the team’s first pick in the 2017 draft in comments to the media.
    Carroll said he couldn’t say whether McDowell would be ready for the season nor would he comment on if there was a chance McDowell will play at all this season.
    “I don’t know that,” Carroll said. “I really don’t. And I’m not taking any sides; I don’t know. I don’t know what the deal is yet.”

As rumored, when McDowell reported to camp, he would be placed on NFI. Now by doing so, the Seahawks must use a roster spot for him while under this designation but does not have to pay him.

There are two types of NFI; Active and Reserve.

Active

• Players can return to practice at anytime. The injury can come from college football or from activity outside of the field or practice.

Reserve

• This is for players who will not return and it's similar to a "redshirt" where they NFL clock doesn't start so teams can retain them for an extra year at no cost.

Since McDowell is counting against the roster spot, he hasn't been put in NFI/Reserve... yet.

This gets weirder the longer it drags out. I'm starting to think he's not playing this year.

If it's a concussion and facial injuries, how bad can it be? Is his eye hanging out or something? Someone sneak in and get real information!

• @veda-the-moor said in Malik McDowell injured:

If it's a concussion and facial injuries, how bad can it be? Is his eye hanging out or something? Someone sneak in and get real information!

Happened to bfs. Maybe we should ask him to look into it.