Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Game #5 Rams (4-0) vs Seahawks (2-2)

• Youtube Video

Broadcast: Fox 1:25 PM
    Radio: 710 AM ESPN & 97.3 KIRO FM

Notes

• LB KJ Wright,, DE Frank Clark, and DE Rashaeem Green Did Not Practice
    • WR Doug Baldwin, RB Chris Carson, OG DJ Fluker, DE Dion Jordan, S Bradley McDougald, OG Ethan Pocic, and DT Shamar Stephen were Limited in Practice
    • Seattle is on-pace to start the same OL two weeks in a row if Sweezy stays at LG and Fluker is healthy to play RG.
    • Seattle is a 7-point underdog at home (only the 3rd time in the Pete Carroll Era; all previous times were Pre-Russell)
    • 2016 was the last time the Seahawks have beaten the Rams at home

• I know it's a projected blow out without a lot of confidence, but I am excited for this game.

It's a divisional game so it'll be closer than anyone expects. Seahawks still lose but they keep it close.

• I saw a prediction of 42-21 earlier today.. and last year was 42-7 despite being a home and division game but I just don't feel we are as bad as people think.

I sadly do see a loss.. but not that bad.

Our D is showing real signs of being at least decent , and I don't think Thompson will be a liability at FS.

• Davis are Carson are playing really well right now.

OL is giving great push on running plays.

Play action and draw plays stopping that pass rush.

• Quick thoughts

• Moral victory - this helps the team know they can play with anyone. Not by luck or fluke play but by playing their brand of football.
    • Draw plays and Play-action helped freeze the Rams' pass rush.
    • The play calling was the best of the year.
    • Through 5 games, I am more confident in what they can be by what they've shown in the last 3 games.
    • Gutsy call by the Rams to close out the game. They didn't trust their defense to stop Wilson and the offense.
    • 33 points to the top-2 scoring offense could have easily been a lot less if we can fix our poor tackling. Everyone looked like Delano Hill in the open field; fixable but a huge concern.

• Maybe we lost, but a helluva game!!! I'm proud of our guys....and I believe they'll get better week by week. Go Hawks!!

• This is exactly the type of game I was hoping we would see - this young "retooling" Hawks team playing the top team in the NFL (IMO) down to the wire. I loved what the players had to say after the game. Pretty much every o-lineman was fired up about how they handled Suh, Donald and the rest of that front 7. A lot of "I don't think they're looking forward to playing us again." Hope that ends up being true.

Offense played great. Really felt like we might end up on the top side of this game, very similar to our win at home against the Steelers a couple years ago. Once again, though, our offense has to burn another TO because we can't get to the line and set up and/or we can't get the play in in-time to get the play off. This has been driving me absolutely nuts over the last few games. We keep blowing TOs on things that are football 101. Then the penalties, then eventually the loss. The ending sequence(s) don't bother me enough to not give credit where credit is due. The o-line killed it. Carson and Davis ran HARD. Lockett once again had a big day and Russ was the Terminator in PA.

Defense needs to tighten up on its tackling and its assignments, but that Rams offense is no joke. McVay is the real deal as far as offensive minds go. Goff has been executing in that offense and has regularly been making crazy accurate throws. Props to them, Goff does not look like the QB last year that was throwing ducks and throwing to wide open spaces for incompletions under pressure. We need to figure out how to get more pressure on the QB, though, I don't think that improved much over the last week. Then again, the Cowboys and Rams both have fantastic o-lines.

This is the type of game that can hopefully spring us to more confident and better play. I've had tempered expectations this entire year and that will continue. However, I want to see some young guys show some potential, develop and get us set up to launch in 2019/2020. Some of these guys have been flashing. Carson, Moore, Tre Flowers, T2 among others like Dissly who we'll have to wait to see next year.

• One thing I can't tell about the Rams is are they good because they execute so well or do they have play-makers?

Either way, that offense is really good and was very happy to see the Seahawks put up 31 against that defense.

I think their defense is a little hyped up right now based on how the defenses have played Seattle in the past.

• @sammyc521 said in Game #5 Rams (4-0) vs Seahawks (2-2):

One thing I can't tell about the Rams is are they good because they execute so well or do they have play-makers?

Either way, that offense is really good and was very happy to see the Seahawks put up 31 against that defense.

I think their defense is a little hyped up right now based on how the defenses have played Seattle in the past.

I think they both execute so well and they have the play-makers to be explosive. Goff has been putting the ball where he needs to, going through progressions and hitting receivers in between zones and out of breaks. Gurley is crazy good and that fly sweep was pretty much an explosive play every time except for the TFL by Frank Clark. Their WR core is really good and they have to be smart guys. Cooks has played in complex offenses between NO, NE and now in LA under McVay. Kupp is a smart player and, though he drops some passes, is almost always in the right spot at the right time.

I'm definitely happy with the offensive output, the 3rd down conversion rate and the red zone efficiency. I'm with you though, sammy, I think that defense is a little overhyped or possibly just underperforming right now.

• @jgfromthenw said in Game #5 Rams (4-0) vs Seahawks (2-2):

This is the type of game that can hopefully spring us to more confident and better play. I've had tempered expectations this entire year and that will continue. However, I want to see some young guys show some potential, develop and get us set up to launch in 2019/2020.

Thanks for the great post. We used this for the Hawks Cast Corner on the latest podcast.

• goes to soundcloud