Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

NFL Anthem Policy

• alt text
    Per the NFL:

ATLANTA – The NFL has an official rule against kneeling during the national anthem.
    Following a year of hand-wringing and disagreement inside the league’s ownership ranks, team owners approved a new measure on Wednesday that gives players the option of staying in the locker room during the national anthem if they don’t wish to stand during the ceremonies. Under the new rule, players who choose to be on the field during the anthem will be required to stand. If a player or team employee is on the field during the anthem and chooses not to stand, that player’s franchise will be fined by the NFL. In turn, players and employees who choose to attend the anthem ceremonies but do not stand will also be eligible for a fine by their franchise, if the team chooses to levy one.

From the FanTable Podcast:

Fans go to games to see sports, not anthems. Making the anthem a priority over the sport itself was a mistake on the NFL's part (as it was for other leagues as well).
    People don't talk about who sang the anthem and how it compared to the other anthems you attended.

With some great replies @seanfromseabeck wrote:

idk I still remember that really bad anthem Roseanne Barr sang in 1990...

Where as others said:

I respectfully disagree with this statement. When I attend a sporting event I know and care about the Anthem as part of the pre game festivities... Also my wife and I still talk about the National Anthem sing by Whitney Houston at the SB still gives me chills

And:

I TOTALLY AGREE !! I want to watch a FOOTBALL game - not see who can sing the National Anthem better! I know some people aren't going to agree with this- but to end this problem once and for all- make the anthem OPTIONAL!

• The NFL has a very bad first-step when it comes to making up new policies.

This one is no surprise.

• The 49ers Owners told reporters this:

49ers owner @JedYork abstained from the anthem vote, thinks a deeper look is required, and says his team will not make concession sales during the anthem. "I don’t think we should be profiting if we’re going to put this type of attention and focus on the field and on the flag."

Good for him actually putting his money and mind out there.

• The Slag and Parley Forums

A few years ago I was in China having lunch with a friend and friends of that friend. One young man Esther abruptly asked me why the US interferes with Chinese domestic affairs. I missed the cue words and asked what he meant. He was referring to Taiwan. As he started to lecture me I interrupted him. I told him Taiwan is a democracy. If China really wanted Taiwan to be part of it then it was easy: make a country they want to be part and they will join.

People who hate the anthem protests.. people who pour so much energy into fighting them.. if everyone put the same energy into making the US the country EVERYONE could feel proud of them maybe there wouldn't be protests. Instead the last thing I read before I visited this board was an article on how a Milwaukee Bucks player was tasered.. literally for no reason. The video is released and even the cops admit the player didn't resist arrest.

Whether it's color or not , there are some serious, serious issues in America that have been building for a long time. And they are getting worse. Why shouldn't people be out there protesting? Better yet why aren't MORE PEOPLE protesting? Trump is about to roll back most rules thst came into affect after the 2008 financial crisis-- most people don't even know what that was all about.

The wonder is that so many people are still given to chest pounding hyper nationalism instead of a dispassionate dedication to the IDEALS of the country.