Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Sherman *Released by Seahawks*

• alt text

Greg Bell puts it best on the Sherman scenario:

#Seahawks Insider: Appears Richard Sherman weighing 3 main options:

1. What price to accept from SEA as an injury settlement
    2. What another team might pay him to play away from SEA in 2018
    3. Whether to accept less than $11M to stay thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/sea… @thenewstribune

Update: 3/9
    Per Adam Schefter:

Seahawks have informed perennial Pro-Bowl CB Richard Sherman that they are releasing him today, per league sources.
    End has come for one of the most iconic players in Seattle sports history.
    Sherman will be a free agent this weekend.

Sad to see this is how it ends but this is also the path many players take in the NFL.

Sherman has a full interview with Gee Scott on KIRO 97.3 at 9:15PM tonight. Some clips have been released where he mentions the things that lead to his release; age, injury, cap, salary spent on other players, poor drafting, etc. He confirms that he has a great relationship and that they were able to release him now to get him the best opportunity to talk to other teams before Free Agency starts.

• Shaquill Griffin just posted this on Instagram:
    0_1520620221193_8ba83bb7-1ba0-4b92-8159-cf90e0a902ab-image.png

What You Thought !! 😤😤
    #TrustTheProcess

• The Slag and Parley Forums

Sad day but not shocking. Every once in a while I wish for the old , pre cap days when you could afford to be loyal and even to pay players for what the had done not what they will do.. or even for what they mean to the fans and team.
    Best of luck to him and part of me hopes he's back at a lower price...

• alt text

Sherman thanks the organization, coaches and fans.

• And possibly going to the 49ers

I'm not really mad about it. I can't begrudge them having at least 1 good player on their team. :metal_tone1:

When he was officially released yesterday I admit I was more sad than I'd thought I'd be. I've known for quite a while this was coming and yet it still kinda put a cloud on my day.

I just don't want to hear about how RS will have a leg up on us when we play against his team. I mean, didn't Russ play against the guy in practice for years? At best a push if not advantage RW.

Yeah, my thoughts about all this are a little scattered. I'll get it together soon.

Go Hawks!

• @sammyc521 said in Sherman *Released by Seahawks*:

Shaquill Griffin just posted this on Instagram:
    0_1520620221193_8ba83bb7-1ba0-4b92-8159-cf90e0a902ab-image.png

What You Thought !! 😤😤
    #TrustTheProcess

Hell yeah!!

We had the LOB-OG, now we have the LOB-V2: Shaq, Earl (hopefully), Kam (possibly),... and some other dudes!

Go Hawks!

• @veda-the-moor said in Sherman *Released by Seahawks*:

Sad day but not shocking. Every once in a while I wish for the old , pre cap days when you could afford to be loyal and even to pay players for what the had done not what they will do.. or even for what they mean to the fans and team.
    Best of luck to him and part of me hopes he's back at a lower price...

I'm hoping he'll at least give us an opportunity to match any offer he gets out there. It may not matter though. If what JS said was true about new players being in awe of the stars then it may be partially a move to get more out of the rest of the players. I guess there are all kinds of ways to be a distraction. 1 is becoming a legend in your own time!

Sucks seeing Sherman go. I think he's in the conversation as best ever at his position and really wanted him to be a Seahawk his whole career. This is going to be an interesting off season.

Sad to Sherman go. If the numbers are accurate and straight forward, 49ers are taking a pretty big gamble. 13 million a year.. after the Achilles thing and he's not working out even yet..?

But he is choosing well. 49ers will be running a Seattle style defense.. which fits his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.

All the best to him, except 2 games a year. Will be very weird to see him in 49er colors.

• 0_1520743914154_8b700e9d-447d-4903-ab3b-d34b4d27a470-image.png

Well, that was quick.

Per Tom Pelissero:

Richard Sherman’s deal includes a $5M signing bonus, plus $2M base salary, $2M in 46-man roster bonuses, $1M playtime incentive and $3M Pro Bowl incentive in 2018. So #49ers get protection, and Sherman gets upside to beat his #Seahawks deal if he plays well. Win-win.
    Also, if Sherman — who’s coming off a torn Achilles — makes the Pro Bowl in 2018, my understanding is another $16M in base salary for 2019-20 becomes guaranteed. Creative structure from Paraag Marathe and Sherman’s agent ... Sherman.

It seems there is a lot of if's in this new contract. But if he makes All-Pro of course he looks real good.

If he sucks, fans from all over the NFC West in particular should vote him into the pro bowl.. tie up 49er cap space.

• @veda-the-moor said in Sherman *Released by Seahawks*:

If he sucks, fans from all over the NFC West in particular should vote him into the pro bowl.. tie up 49er cap space.

Lol!

"Veda-the-sinister"!!

• From a professional athlete standpoint, I'm really happy he's found a place where he can continue his career while being paid handsomely.

From a Hawks fan standpoint, I'm really saddened that all of this had to happen. It ain't right.

Let's face it, there's a lot of the relationship between #25 & PC we know nothing about....despite all the 'insiders' tales.

Maybe they found him too difficult to deal with? And now we see that they may only have to pay him 1.5 $mil at worst, it may well be the story. Just a guess of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of it. PC and JS like people to express themselves and to be themselves.. and that's a great ideal , but you got the sense last at some point some of the things had gone on too long and maybe too deep. Its interesting to note that the 3 big names officially gone are Bennett and Sherman , around whom some of the biggest off field situations revolved, and Lane whom they obviously thought theyd traded.

Sherman played hard last year, but he also mocked PC's philosophy and way of doing things, essentially saying only younger players needed the "Kumbaya" stuff. Who knows the truth about what things were like behind the scenes but as Lymon hints, it wouldn't be surprising if some of the off field drama at least figured into the equation.

• Richard gave the Seahawks a chance to match

This for some reason makes me feel better about the situation. He did all he could to remain a Seahawk. I like that. Good luck to him.

• Florio is contending Sherman got a less than ideal contract

Hmmm..... I'm not to knowledgeable about contracts but is this a bit of a sneaky deal Sherman may not have detected? I'm not sure because personally I don't like Florio as far as I can shot-put the sob.

• I think Florio has vested interest and this deal for Sherman is very much a "I believe in myself/talents" more so than saying "I don't need to prove anything."

Obviously, Sherman was only looking at West Coast team and the Pats (not sure why Detroit was in the mix).

SF is also the only team that has the cap to take the risk of Sherman in regards to his recovery and come out if he can't get healthy.