Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

SEAHAWKS FIRE BEVELL

• You read that right, Seattle Seahawks fire Offensive Coordinator Darrell Bevell

Wow. It happened. It really, really happened....

I wasn't one to call for his firing. The play of the offensive line and the players execution on the field is what I believed to be the biggest issue. Maybe this move is just the first domino to fall for Seahawk coaches...

Am I hearing the "Jaws" theme music while Assisstant Head Coach / Offensive Line Coach Tom Cable is swimming at the beach?

• Softy says to look for Steve Sarkisian as possible OC replacement

No idea why Sark would leave Atlanta unless him and Pete are really that close. Atlanta's offense kinda regressed this season, right? Imo not a real exciting hire IF it was to really happen.

• Some of the falcons local guys put more of the blame on Ryan and his lack of down field accuracy. But Sark scares me a little. Him and Pete have obviously worked together and he did make Locker look like a first round draft pick so he's familiar with a mobile QB. I think it could be Philipo(sp) as well. We needed a reboot and hopefully Cable is next.

• The biggest problem about firing Darrell Bevell... who replaces him?

This will be only the 3rd OC in Pete's Seahawks Era.

I am hoping that who ever they hire it a little more creative and consistent... is that even possible?

• "I think they make Tom [Cable] the official OC" was what one of my contacts predicted 12/27. Don't now what @seahawks will do. Sharing only because Bevell is out and there are no obvious available candidates.

This from Sando's Twitter.

• It cant be Cable getting the job..I mean, one of the reasons Bevell is out is because Cable didn't do his job. I wouldn't be surprised if Cable is also actually gone, its just not leaked yet. I actually expect OC, QBC and OLC to be gone.

• PS. I'm really, really happy.

Good luck to Bevell. He has his good points. I think he is great at maximizing talent. But I think he is a below average call player and obviously there has been an issue for 2 years with slow starts.

• With @Veda-the-Moor on this; thank you for the SB Bevell and helping us groom Wilson for the past 6 years...

But the last two years of pathetic first-half football has got to go. Not sure if the change will be for the better but I'm hopeful.

• Per Softy Twitter:

Here’s what I’m hearing: Not just Bevell. Per sources: Kris Richard also out as DC, QB’s coach Carl Smith leaving as well.

• @sammyc521 said in SEAHAWKS FIRE BEVELL:

Per Softy Twitter:

Here’s what I’m hearing: Not just Bevell. Per sources: Kris Richard also out as DC, QB’s coach Carl Smith leaving as well.

This would be excellent..though I'm not sure why Cable is getting a free pass if this is true. As we have talked about quite a bit in the podcast, Richard seems to have watered down the defense with his "additions" to it.. turnovers and just about everything else have gotten much worse since he took over.

• Per ESPN.com Dan Quinn is not letting Sark go to Seattle:

Falcons head coach Dan Quinn told reporters there's "zero chance" of offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian leaving Atlanta to take the same job with the Seahawks. Because of his ties to coach Pete Carroll, Sarkisian has been considered a possible replacement for Darrell Bevell, who has been fired after seven seasons with the team.

So Sark is not coming to Seattle which makes sense because there have been no reports of Seattle seeking permission to talk to an active OC who's team is still in the playoffs.

• The lack of rumblings about Cable being gone bothers me. Greatly.

• @volsunghawk said in SEAHAWKS FIRE BEVELL:

The lack of rumblings about Cable being gone bothers me. Greatly.

I wonder if this is a concerned effort by Carroll, Schneider and Cable to really look at the college game and puke everytime they look at an upcoming offensive linemen.

That's the only reason that I can think of that keeps Cable as the Offensive Line Coach; they all truly believe how garbage all these OL's coming out of college really are garbage.

• @sammyc521 said in SEAHAWKS FIRE BEVELL:

@volsunghawk said in SEAHAWKS FIRE BEVELL:

The lack of rumblings about Cable being gone bothers me. Greatly.

I wonder if this is a concerned effort by Carroll, Schneider and Cable to really look at the college game and puke everytime they look at an upcoming offensive linemen.

That's the only reason that I can think of that keeps Cable as the Offensive Line Coach; they all truly believe how garbage all these OL's coming out of college really are garbage.

I get that they might have a philosophical alignment, but at some point, you have to look at results. All of the other teams are drafting from that same pool of linemen. And lots of them are turning out good. What's our excuse?

• Our excuse is that the team seems to look for very specific players that can also do multiple things... but never great at one thing.

If Cable doesn't get fired it's either because he is felt to have the best impact for continuity or he has no impact at all and doesn't need to be let go.

• alt text

Officially both let go.

• Statement from Bevell:

alt text

• So, moving forward... what are people's thoughts or wishes for the next OC?

• My only requirement is that he/she be really good at coordinating offense.

• It's really tough to say the QB coach in Philly is interesting, kubiak produced a top 10 offense almost every year in the league, Haley is a master at the vertical game as well as the screen play which fits Pete's explosive play mantra and would help the o line situation. I get the sense it's going to be someone who no one has mentioned though.

• Chudzinski?

• Aren't Haley and Chudzinski both employed at the same "level".. so we wouldn't be able to get them? Or am I missing something..?

• @veda-the-moor said in SEAHAWKS FIRE BEVELL:

Aren't Haley and Chudzinski both employed at the same "level".. so we wouldn't be able to get them? Or am I missing something..?

If PC made them OC/asst. HC would that be legal?

• It would probably be enough technically but I doubt that Haley in particular would move.

The more I think, the more I am intrigued by the Eagles QB coach..

• @veda-the-moor said in SEAHAWKS FIRE BEVELL:

It would probably be enough technically but I doubt that Haley in particular would move.

The more I think, the more I am intrigued by the Eagles QB coach..

Only thing with him is I think he's interviewing for HC jobs. But until he lands something he's fair game!