Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion

• Welp, The Last Jedi is in the books. But don't think for a second that it means that the Star Wars talk is going to die down. By the time TLJ is available on digital & blu ray, the new Han Solo movie will be right around the corner.

We don't have much yet, but an image surfaced a couple of days ago that, although Disney & Lucasfilm deny it coming from them, looks to be pretty official: https://movieweb.com/han-solo-movie-trailer-college-football-national-championship-espn/

alt text

And now according to this link, rumor is that we'll be getting a trailer in the next couple of weeks, possibly during the college football championship game.

Also, reports have surfaced that Disney is bracing for this movie to bomb. Hopefully that's not the case, but you have to admit that much of the news to come out at this point is not really very confidence inspiring.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. If they're able to balance the right amount of nostalgia with the right story with the right amount of fun and action, then perhaps it has a chance to succeed as the biggest gamble Disney has taken with the franchise to date.

• That's not far from the early reports out of Rogue One.

So far, the non-Lucas leading Star Wars has had three plus-plus movies.

I am not concerned but I am really interested in the tone of this movie.

• I wish I shared your optimism, but this movie has a lot to prove. Highly publicized directorial changes coupled with our first time really seeing old familiar characters played by new actors, negative press notwithstanding, that's a pretty tall order to overcome. TLJ's apparent negative shadow looming only ads retardant to the prospective fire, and we badly need some fuel at this point. Still hoping for the best but expectations are seriously tempered currently.

• Remember how down you were on TLJ before you saw it based on initial thoughts?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't feel that way about this movie potentially.

• Curbed optimism seems to be working well for me haha.

• http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-wars-composer-john-williams-han-solo-movie-theme-score-release-date-trailer-a8135666.html

Variety reports John Williams will compose the theme for the film, while John Powell will take on duties of writing the film’s score, as previously announced. This will only be the second time Williams hasn’t scored a Star Wars film, with Michael Giacchino stepping in for Rogue One.

This is pretty cool actually. I'm ok with them getting people other than John Williams to do the scores for these anthology films, but the fact that they're letting Williams write the theme song for Han Solo, considering that Han never really had his own theme in Star Wars, and the fact that Williams did the music for Indiana Jones, it just seems appropriate. And I would imagine we'll get something pretty reminiscent of of Indy's theme. Looking forward to hearing what they come up with.

• The Slag and Parley Forums

Well.. it probably goes without saying Im very nervous about this movie.

On a personal level, this is a pet peeve of mine way before Star Wars.. Ive always disliked different actors playing the same character..it absolutely destroys my willful suspension of disbelief. Full disclosure, there are 2 exceptions to this rule.. the 2 Darrens in "Bewitched" dont bother me and I dont know why, and the 2 Dumbledore"s dont bother me and I dont know why in that case either. Other than that, its the quickest way in a movie to annoy (except just simply not making a good movie following at least the basics of story telling rules).

Beyond that , man.. you fire the two directors that should have never have been hired in the first place and then get a very well respected but very conventional and safe director to save your film.. it means you KNOW youre in trouble and screwed up.

Its increasingly obvious that we are going to mostly be making fan service type films I fear the movie is just going to be heavy handed with wink wink moments..

We can assume that instead of exploring what it means to be a scoundrel in the Star Wars galaxy, why Han is Han.. we are going to get a story that mostly serves as a way to explain:

• how he got his blaster
    • the stripes on his pants (I was recently made aware that in the EU even this had to have an explanation...)
      *his relationship with Greedo
    • we will actually see him dump the cargo that got him into debt with Jabba
    • the Kessel Run will be made in 12 parsecs (bonus points if its actually Lando at the controls when it does since the original quote was that that SHIP made the Run in 12 parsecs)
    • how the Falcon is won.

I have a vague idea that making the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs will be some part of the conclusion...

So we will have this problem where Star Wars will again feel very small.. every feature of Han Solo will have a trite explanation that all started within a week of each... It will actually share a lot of the faults I find in the third Indiana Jones movie: everything about Indy happened one day when he was a teenager (played by an actor that my mind doesnt accept..).

The movies are being guided by really proficient, good people who really love Star Wars, its obvious. But they arent epic.. they arent epic in themes, they arent dealing with the universals.. they are making things mundane. Its cool to have a bit of fan service, but fans dont actually know what they want. They will like a movie that has everything they thought they wanted in a movie.. but what they would actually like more is if someone had the courage to make something creative that paid attention to the more esoteric elements that really make Star Wars special.

If they are going to make mundane films that explore the greater Star Wars galaxy, and I get that..and until really recent was excited for those.. then I think they should explore the lesser known things that wont contradict things so much or make things feel less real.

• @zeb-stark said in Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-wars-composer-john-williams-han-solo-movie-theme-score-release-date-trailer-a8135666.html

Variety reports John Williams will compose the theme for the film, while John Powell will take on duties of writing the film’s score, as previously announced. This will only be the second time Williams hasn’t scored a Star Wars film, with Michael Giacchino stepping in for Rogue One.

This is pretty cool actually. I'm ok with them getting people other than John Williams to do the scores for these anthology films, but the fact that they're letting Williams write the theme song for Han Solo, considering that Han never really had his own theme in Star Wars, and the fact that Williams did the music for Indiana Jones, it just seems appropriate. And I would imagine we'll get something pretty reminiscent of of Indy's theme. Looking forward to hearing what they come up with.

John Williams is a hero of mine. He's the reason I wanted to score movies when I grew up. (Still can't score movies but luckily at 46 years of age I haven't grown up yet.) This increases my excitement for this movie which, because of you guys, have now been tempered down to very cautious optimism. Thanks for that, btw.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• @Veda-the-Moor Yeah, making Star Wars small is something George Lucas did with the prequels, and it was detrimental to the trilogy IMO (among many other thing, obviously). It's an easy thing to fall back into when trying to invent back story to stuff.

Hopefully we don't get a situation where everything we know about Han Solo pre-ANH happened over the course of a week. But I do expect a ton of fan service and for most of the things you listed to be addressed (which is honestly fine by me). Problem we have now is that half the fan base will be mad if there's too much fan service and the other half will be mad if there isn't enough. Hopefully they can find a balance.

As to the rest of your post, I don't agree that these movies are mundane. I do agree they haven't done a really great job of making the new ones EPIC, at least in the sense of showing the vast scope and scale of the galaxy, But I dunno, maybe that's harder to do than it seems, given that in general most people seem to want to make sure everything is very familiar.

Hopefully Rian Johnson's new trilogy will explore some of those "lesser known" things that you're looking for, I just hope it still feels like Star Wars when he does, and doesn't just turn into generic young adult sci-fi/fantasy.

• @birdfinger said in Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion:

@zeb-stark said in Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-wars-composer-john-williams-han-solo-movie-theme-score-release-date-trailer-a8135666.html

John Williams is a hero of mine. He's the reason I wanted to score movies when I grew up. (Still can't score movies but luckily at 46 years of age I haven't grown up yet.) This increases my excitement for this movie which, because of you guys, have now been tempered down to very cautious optimism. Thanks for that, btw.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I've decided that cautious optimism is the way to go on the new Star Wars movies haha. It's worked so far!

• Man... it's not like these are the Special Editions.

It's a new movie based on things that have been covered and now removed due to them Death Star'ing the expanded universe.

I am curious to see the comedic tones now that they've changed the movie from Lord/Miller to Ron Howard and compare that to the comedy they had in TLJ.

• @sammyc521 said in Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion:

Man... it's not like these are the Special Editions.

It's a new movie based on things that have been covered and now removed due to them Death Star'ing the expanded universe.

I am curious to see the comedic tones now that they've changed the movie from Lord/Miller to Ron Howard and compare that to the comedy they had in TLJ.

One thing I noticed after a few watches was that the comedy in TLJ seemed way less invasive than the first watch. I guess that's probably just natural from becoming used to it but the jokes just seem much fewer and farther between after a couple watches where on initial watch it seemed like they were everywhere.

@zeb-stark said in Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion:

@sammyc521 said in Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion:

Man... it's not like these are the Special Editions.

One thing I noticed after a few watches was that the comedy in TLJ seemed way less invasive than the first watch. I guess that's probably just natural from becoming used to it but the jokes just seem much fewer and farther between after a couple watches where on initial watch it seemed like they were everywhere.

This is for sure true. I thought there was a bit too much comedy in The Force Awakens and found the humor that was there sort of of the wrong tone (for example Finn asking Rey if she had a boyfriend..the whole sentence felt wrong).

• @veda-the-moor said in Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion:

This is for sure true. I thought there was a bit too much comedy in The Force Awakens and found the humor that was there sort of of the wrong tone (for example Finn asking Rey if she had a boyfriend..the whole sentence felt wrong).

Love that line haha. The comedy in TFA honestly felt a little bit more natural to me than some of the comedy in TLJ. Just a little, no major complaints.

In other news....

Some (unsubstantiated) rumors I've heard about the Solo movie recently:

• takes place over six years

• been described as part western, part gangster movie

• movie takes place more on the ground than in space

• lots of racing

I have a gut feeling they're going to be using a lot of Indiana Jones and maybe even American Graffiti as inspirations for this movie, maybe possibly equal to or even more so than Star Wars, as an attempt to go in a different, unexpected direction.

• I like this guy's take. He shares a lot of similar thoughts that we and other people I've talked to have had as well. Puts some of that stuff in good perspective.

http://uproxx.com/movies/han-solo-a-star-wars-story-fatigue/2/

Also, the bits of plot that are leaking are not encouraging. It seems apparent we will be seeing the movie version of the Kessel Run – an event that anyone who has seen the original Star Wars has played out in his or her mind in many different ways. It could be anything. Now it will be something. I kind of miss things being “anything.” I don’t need to have everything that’s ever been mentioned in Star Wars to be explained to me. I don’t need to see a movie about the bounty hunter Han and Leia ran into on Ord Mantell. This was always part of the charm of Star Wars: just random, crazy things being mentioned without any explanation. And there are rumors that we might see Vader again. Or Tarkin. (I mean, who knows? Of course, these rumors would exist whether they are true or not.) But it’s apparent this movie wants to show us “big events,” but I kind of wish they were just random adventures instead. In the late ‘70s, a series of books were published with titles like Han Solo at Stars’ End and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy. How fun would something like that be? Just crazy adventures with Han and Chewbacca and the outcome will not mean anything for anyone other than them. And those titles are a lot better than Solo: A Star Wars Story. (I’m sure someone at Lucasfilm said, “Um, that’s too close to an Indiana Jones movie title.” And that person would be correct. But, also, so what?)

The original Star Wars has surprisingly little exposition for such a big galaxy. It just moves ahead, dropping reference after reference without a care in the world. It left a lot up to all of our imaginations. And everyone single one of those interpretations are different. And that’s always what made Star Wars fun. Now we get movie after movie that fills in those gaps, which not only takes away some of the fun, but also a real sense of Star Wars fatigue is setting in. And there’s a better than average chance I’ll enjoy this new Han Solo movie. Ron Howard is a pro and this isn’t his first go-around with a Lucasfilm movie. But, man, it’s a lot.

In the original Star Wars, Leia tells Han Solo, “I don’t know who you are or where you came from.” Come to think of it, I don’t think I do either.

All that said, I'm still very much looking forward to seeing this. I just can't imagine myself ever not being excited to go see a new Star Wars movie.

• @zeb-stark Interesting read. I love the "Han and Chewie random adventures" idea! I mentioned a while back that I would love any type of flick set in the Star Wars Universe. A buddy-buddy outlaw flick would be amazing. A remake of The Revenant but on Endor! Sign me up! The kid in me just wants to live in that universe so any movie that takes me there, I'll through cash at! Tickets, Blurays,(I'm still a bit tactile about my media) mugs, throw blankets... just the same as I've always been with the Seahawks. Just take my money!

• @birdfinger hahaha I'm with you 100%.

• https://movieweb.com/han-solo-movie-preview-footage-reaction/

"I just saw a Sneak Peak (EPK reel) of Solo: A Star Wars Story and I must say I'm really really overwhelmed of how freaggin good it looks! (nothing about the story yet) Alden Ehrenreich is amazing as Han Solo, and so is Donald Glover as Lando, Emilia Clarke and Woody Harrelson look awesome and it definitely had an old Star Wars Feel to it!! Looks like this could be the fan-service-movie some of the older Star Wars fans wanted from Episode VIII."

So still no trailer. Newest rumor is that it'll be out around the time of the Super Bowl. Here's to hoping. But good to get at least a little bit of encouraging news.

• Any day now, I swear.

I thought it was supposed to be Wednesday......

• So newest reports are Monday during Good Morning America. Looking solid this time haha. We'll see.

• Your guess is as good as mine:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/918735-its-official-solo-trailer-coming-to-good-morning-america

http://geekyreporter.com/2018/02/01/thr-solo-trailer-to-debut-during-the-super-bowl/

I really don't understand why they can't just come out and tell us when the trailer is dropping. It's so weird.

"Dude..by ...Friday..I should be able to edit together at least 2 minutes that doesn't look like crap..."

Friday: "Well..hmm.. how about a still? I know , I know..give me til..what...say.. the Super Bowl..Im sure I can put together SOMETHING by then..."

Eve of Super Bowl: "I don't know man..got any home movies of Harrison Ford as a kid running around doing stuff?"

• alt text

I'm still waiting...

• Youtube Video

Finally.