Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Kaepernick files grievance for collusion against NFL

• alt text

ESPN.com reports:

Free-agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick has filed a grievance under the latest collective bargaining agreement against NFL owners for collusion, according to his attorney, Mark Geragos.
    Kaepernick is not going through the NFL Players Association but has instead hired Geragos, who has represented several high-profile clients, including Michael Jackson, former NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield and musician Chris Brown.
    The filing, which demands an arbitration hearing on the matter, says the NFL and its owners "have colluded to deprive Mr. Kaepernick of employment rights in retaliation for Mr. Kaepernick's leadership and advocacy for equality and social justice and his bringing awareness to peculiar institutions still undermining racial equality in the United States."

This seals his fate. All those saying that he wasn't doing enough to get a job will either shut up or dig their heels in further.

This means that he will never get a job in the NFL because what owner wants to take that one; whether or not there was collusion or keep him a FA is like the worst-kept secret in the NFL. Yes, half the teams that have been vocal said they would be interested where the other half has said "My fans will boycott my team if I sign him."

Would be interesting to see if he had signed with GB after the Rodgers injury if there would still be this lawsuit. This has been something that's been bubbling up for a while.

• The Slag and Parley Forums

Going to be hard to prove, but I'm surprised he waited this long. Good luck, Kaep!

I'm thinking the real question is how did Veda extend my post? LOL!!

• @lymon said in Kaepernick files grievance for collusion against NFL:

I'm thinking the real question is how did Veda extend my post? LOL!!

#Busted?

Wait...how did I do that? I was trying to quote? I must have pushed the wrong button..I was on my phone and the writing is so small..! Sorry!

No idea how that happened..

@lymon
    Agreed, hard to prove onthe surface but lack of even tryouts given will help. It's a civil case so he doesn't need to prove beyond reasonable doubt, just a preponderance of the evidence which is arguably already a matter of public record.

Interested to see where this goes. I don't really think the NFL wants investigations on anything touching the collusion type things..

Wait, you did it again! Oh sure, you don't know how it happened? 'I don't know Mommy, it just happened.' LOL!

? Didnt I fix it?I took my words out of your post and put them in my own.. no?

Just funnin' Veda. ;)

Fished in..again. My literalness is always my undoing..

• Newest Drama - Jerry Jones, Bob McNair, Robert Kraft to be Deposed in Kaepernick Collusion Grievance

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Texans owner Bob McNair are among a number of people that will be deposed in relation to Colin Kaepernick's collusion grievance against the league, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.
    They will be required to turn over all cell phone calls and emails in relation to Kaepernick, according to Schefter, and a number of other owners, teams and league officials will also be deposed.

This is crazy... getting deposed is a fancy way to get a witness statement. Why these team owners have been deposed is certainly interesting as it poses that they were more likely to influence other teams as they did not need a QB on their team.

Depositions are a way to gain information in a civil suite. It's one of the ways you find out potentially what a witness might say in Court. And in WA, at least, it is done under oath so it's kind of hard to change your story in Court....although I've seen it done.

I've attended a number of 'Deps' and have read through a lot more of them looking for mistakes. One of my favorite tools was to make an overlay of someone's statement, Ex: 'I always...blah, blah, blah...' When a witness says in Court, 'No, I never...blah, blah, blah, we would put their former statement on an overhead projector and show it to the entire courtroom. Fun times.

• I had to give a deposition at the Seattle Courthouse once. It's fun to read over your statement when someone writes down word-for-word what you said.

Either way, this definitely adds some fuel to the "collusion" argument; still will be incredible hard to confirm unless these guys are super stupid.