Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE

• The recent report about Aaron Hernandez having severe CTE at 27 years old has me a bit shook. Now I am questioning what it means to care about my team the Seahawks. Do I just want them to entertain me on the field or do I care about them in a way to where I want them to retire early?

I'm on the move right now and can't really get into it too deep but this report in my view is a bombshell and could bring into question if the hits taken from childhood through college just to make it to the NFL let alone all the hits taken while in the NFL is worth the risk of having a degenerative brain condition.

• I look at this situation and say without any hesitation, "Fuck Aaron Hernandez."

He receives zero sympathy from me.

To the overall question about how fans should feel about cheering on a violent sport... much more grey.

• Aaron Hernandez is despicable. But was he a monster in spite of this degenerative brain condition or because of it. My fear is CTE may have a very large part into the killer he became. CTE as i understand it is not a result of a single hit but repeated hits to the head relentlessly over time. If this is true, other 27 year old football players that have spent the majority of their life playing tackle football may be on this same path. I'd be heartbroken if someone like Earl Thomas did something horrific because of CTE. I love watching football. Either by Design or not I've become invested in these players lives and who they are outside of football. The report of a 27 year old young man having this severe case of CTE shocks me a bit. For some reason it didn't really occur to me that players in the NFL that I've only been in the league for a couple years could have severe CTE. I'm a lifetime football fan but today I'm going through some odd crises of conscience.

• I get it, but Hernandez is an evil dude and I don't think his CTE has anything to do with his desire to kill people.

His bad streak was prevalent at his years in Florida.

My friend said "Lots of NFL players like to pretend they're thugs and criminals; Aaron Hernandez likes to pretend he's a football player."

• I don't know. I think since CTE is developed over time and he had what is being referred to as a severe case at 27 years old, CTE may have been negatively effecting his brain in college. A brain can be damaged in any area and effect everything from speech and motor skills to thought processes and impulse control. So what I'm saying is depending upon his life/football history, his participation in football over his life span, may have played a role in his crimes by way of the brain degenerative disease of CTE.

Ultimately, I'm thinking of the Seahawk players and how this applies. Many may have played the same sports growing up and taken/given the same hits as Hernandez. How many current Seahawk players have CTE right now? Since it is a cumulative disease, will they have less effects if they walk away now versus if they stay and play into their 30's? Having these questions in my mind, muddies the waters on what I'm actually cheering for this Sunday. I haven't dealt with or thought this issue through in any meaningful way until now. I have to admit, this report has made me reassess my feelings about the sport i love.

• The Slag and Parley Forums

Did any other convicted Murderers also have CTE? I can't recall any. Hernandez was evil and I don't think having CTE caused it. CTE probably contributed to his suicide(Seau,etc) but I don't buy it that it also caused his violent and psychopathic issues.
    Speaking of CTE; Isn't there a promising new helmet out that some players are using? I think Russell Wilson is one of them.

• Oops. Didn't mean to put across that CTE is a disease common among killers. It certainly is not. Just that CTE may be more common in football players than expected. CTE is a degenerative brain disease and depending on where the damage is in the brain, would determine the effects. A person could demonstrate fits of rage and aggression and if that person lost the ability to empathize, the person could likely be capable of murder several times over. As such, I do believe CTE could be a root cause for Aaron Hernandez becoming a killer. The brain damage could have created what we see as a predisposition toward violence and murder.

In any case, the entire pathway from pee-wee football through to the NFL should now be looked at. CTE could be effecting former high school and college players too. We don't know because you have to dissect the brain and specifically look for it and that isn't a normal procedure.

In the Aaron Hernandez case, if a link is proven or even strongly believed that CTE had anything to do with the outward murder of people and not relegated only to suicidal behaviors, tackle football as we know it is in trouble.

And yes I do believe a few players including RW are testing out a new helmet designed with the specific intention of reducing concussion and thus the onset of CTE.

• There's a lot of bridges to connect if CTE is solely responsible for Hernandez to become a killer.

The ability to kill ranges and I do give in to the fact that people that suffer brain damage may do things they would not do if there was no brain damage. It could also be that Hernandez is just an evil fuck and his life style increased the damage to his brain.

So far, there is no proof of anything other than he suffered severe CTE; that is not enough (especially since it's one case) that has linked CTE to becoming a murderer. Brain damage and other factors are so vast, I'm the first to admit that I know next to nothing.

• Banned

As much as I'd like him to spend years in a cell with a huge drooling cross-rapist, one must leave open the possibility that Aaron is ill and not just a sick fuck.
    Then again, do we take the rattlesnake approach. Who cares if he doesn't mean harm, he does harm and we can't allow him to jump the fence of a mental institution in Oregon and take loons fishing and then escape with a huge Native American fellow.

• Banned

@sammyc521 said in Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE:

So far, there is no proof of anything other than he suffered severe CTE; that is not enough (especially since it's one case) that has linked CTE to becoming a murderer.

Uh, Chris Benoit? Family? Poof? We have precedent...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_double-murder_and_suicide

• Banned

@legionofboom said in Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE:

Did any other convicted Murderers also have CTE? I can't recall any.

We've got a chicken/egg thing going on - they don't test every murderers brain for a remotely possible debilitating disease...

• @rocket said in Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE:

@sammyc521 said in Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE:

So far, there is no proof of anything other than he suffered severe CTE; that is not enough (especially since it's one case) that has linked CTE to becoming a murderer.

Uh, Chris Benoit? Family? Poof? We have precedent...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_double-murder_and_suicide

While murder, there's still no evidence. Even if you want to claim a chicken/egg situation, you can't make assumptions that correlation equals causation.

If you did, then we should all be worried about hurricanes and its effects from pollution. (general "you")