Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Back-up Quarter Back

• Russell Wilson has been so healthy, he has played more 16-game seasons than QBs that have been playing before 2012.

This past year was the first time we've really seen what a Wilson-less team can look like and it was scary.

While we saw glimpses of what Boykins can do, his small history of dumb choices may impact his on-field chances. The team let go of local-boy Jake Heaps (who is still partnering with Wilson on Wilson's QB Camp) and signed Austin Davis (formerly of CLE and STL). His last snap was in 2015 for CLE where he started 2 games. In 2014, Davis did get 8 starts and beat the Seahawks in St. Louis (Kam Chancellor hold-out).

Some have brought up Collin Kaepernick but my guess is that unless a team suffers a big injury, he won't get signed.

The goal should always be that you go as far as your QB can take you; with a back-up at the helm it's a bad sign for any team.

My faith is that Boykins stays with the team because he's young, cheap, seems to run an offense similar to Wilson's skill-sets (not at the same level) and with a healthy defense, could keep the ship afloat for a short time.

I hope we never reach that though.

• Who are gonna be the other bodies in camp at the position? Is Jeff Hostetler available?

You're right though, in all likelihood this team will go as Russell goes. Chances that we end up with a back up that we can trust to go out there and win games is pretty slim.

If only TJ! TJ! TJ! were still around. 😉

• The Slag and Parley Forums

Id like a backup who can run the read option with a heavy dose of run on it.. I figure if Russ went down for 2-4 games.. that would give us a legit shot to still be in games.

• I really wish the Kaepernick negotiations could have worked out. I think he would have been leagues better than Davis or any other backup option. I really want to believe the team not signing him was money-related.

• @volsunghawk said in Back-up Quarter Back:

I really wish the Kaepernick negotiations could have worked out. I think he would have been leagues better than Davis or any other backup option. I really want to believe the team not signing him was money-related.

I buy-in that the Seahawks view him as a starter and therefore don't see the sense in signing him. If you sign someone of his "talent" there is no reason why he can't ask for a chance to start; he probably wouldn't ever do so but it would fly in the face of Pete's "compete" mantra.

From a personal standpoint, he is light years ahead of Boykins and Davis. It invites risk when signing a player like that. Like bringing in Harvin immediately minimized Tate's status on the team.

• @volsunghawk what up Vols!

• @zeb-stark Not much, man. Just doing my standard "pop up and post for a week on whatever new Seahawks board we're doing and then disappear for months" act.

• @volsunghawk haha well I hope we can convince you to stick around here for a while.

• @zeb-stark said in Back-up Quarter Back:

@volsunghawk haha well I hope we can convince you to stick around here for a while.

Yeah @volsunghawk, stick around.