Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

The FUTURE of Star Wars TV & Movies

• First and foremost, The Clone Wars season 7 returns to Disney+ in a matter of weeks. A potential release date of Feb 17th was recently leaked, and then debunked, so I don't think we know exactly when that will be here but it will be very soon (or at least I don't know, correct me if I'm wrong).

The newest movie rumor (as of 9pm pacific time) is that Taika Waititi is being courted by LucasFilm to do a Star Wars movie. You may know him from Thor Ragnarok or more recently JoJo Rabbit, but he's no stranger to Star Wars as he directed and episode of The Mandalorian as well as provided the voice for the droid IG-11 in the show.

There's been several rumors over recent weeks and months of an Old Republic era movie or trilogy, and more recently we've seen the term High Republic as well as rumors of a "middle aged" Yoda. Also rumors recently of a TV series set in the same/similar era(s). A lot of people originally attached Benioff & Weiss to this or these movie(s) but since that particular relationship seems to have ended it remains to be seen who will helm these projects and which of them will actually come to fruition.

Keven Feige of MCU fame has apparently been tasked with producing a new Star Wars movie. And although there are many rumors and many more opinions about whether or not this will or should happen, Rian Johnson is apparently still on board to write and direct an entire Trilogy. No real solid information at this point whether these are all independent projects or if there is crossover between some of this information or these rumors. As far as we've been told the next Star Wars movie is slated for a 2022 release and it could be any one of these mentioned or maybe even some combination of these potential projects. We've heard rumors for a while now that we'll get some sort of announcement this month, and that lines up pretty well with the '22 release date and how long it will take for the process of writing & casting (much of which is probably already underway) and actual production on the film.

We already know that production on season 2 of the Mandalorian is underway, with Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni once again steering the ship on that one, which I imagine we'll see toward the end of the year with a probable November release date on Disney+.

Obi Wan is another confirmed TV series for Disney+ which will be directed by Deborah Chow who directed two episodes of The Mandalorian, and you may know her from her work on many TV shows including Mr Robot, Fear The Walking Dead, Jessica Jones, Better Call Saul, and many more. It is being written by Hossein Amini who most recently wrote on The Alienist and McMafia, as well as wrote the screenplays for 47 Ronin and Drive, among others. Ewan McGregor is confirmed to be returning as Obi Wan Kenboi and the show is set to take place a few years (I think I've heard about 8 years?) after the events of Revenge of The Sith. Other rumors surrounding this show include the possible return of Ray Park as Darth Maul, as well as a potential casting call for a young Luke Skywalker.

Another confirmed Disney+ series is set to follow Cassian Andor and the droid K2-SO (Alan Tudyk) in the years before the events of Rogue One. No director has been announced yet but Tony Gilroy, who wrote the screenplay for Rogue One, is writing the pilot, so these characters should be in good hands. Not much info yet on this one but lots they could do so it will be interesting to see where exactly they go with it.

Lastly, rumors of a spin-off/sequel to the Rebels animated series following Sabine Wren & Ahsoka Tano. Not a lot of info on this one, still just a rumor as far as I know.

Ummm off the top of my head I think that's about all I got. Feel free to add to this if you have more information or if I missed anything.

• Of the rumored stuff, I would be most excited about a Taika Waititi Star Wars movie.

I've enjoyed his movies for a long time and he has great range (drama, comedies, super hero movies, etc). I would love to see what kind of fresh take that Taika could bring to the Star Wars universe.

I am super hopeful that Rian Johnson gets his trilogy announced soon because I want to see what he could do with full control from start-to-finish.

I really love that there's going to be a mix of Disney+ and movie stuff. I am surprised that they've been so quiet on the movie front. Maybe they hoped that the TROS stuff would be longer-lived and fill the Star Wars void for a while.

• I suspect there will be a longer hiatus than we thought before the next movie. I wouid guess they will focus on TV, and sort of re-group their thinking regarding the movies.

Right now a lot of people are scared about directing or possibly being in Star Wars movies. The main cast of the last trilogy didn’t exactly give the experience two thumbs up.

I think Disney feels they over did it and will let things cool down.

For the record, I don’t think they really over did it. They just went about some of it wrong and even strayed from what they seemed to first say the stand alones we’re going to be. I don’t think there is just one way to do things and I don’t know if the MCU path is the best for Star Wars but I hope they can redo it better.

• I would be relatively surprised if they took more than 3 years to put out another movie. That's just too much money to leave sitting on the table. I'm going to assume that sometime in the near future we'll find out that Kathleen Kennedy is stepping down and that will be followed shortly by the announcement of what the next movie is going to be a who'll be doing it. Even if Kennedy sticks around I'd expect a movie announcement by summer at the very latest, assuming we're looking at a Dec 2022 release, which is what I'm expecting at this point.

• One thing I think that Disney/Lucasfilm learned is that people will see a good movie at anytime of the year. Endgame game out in April and is now the all-time box office leader.

Star Wars movies use to come out in May and now they've changed it to December. Staying to those rigid release dates won't impact fans desire to see a good movie and I hope they learn not to impact the quality of the movie without worrying about a release date.

• I agree its likely 3 years til the next movie but it could be 4. And its noteworthy because the next was scheduled for 2022. And I also agree that its too much money to leave on the table except that Solo lost money and every movie released in the trilogies is making less and less money. They have the added problem now of a fractured fan base. Everyone will still go to see it.. but I watched The Last Jedi just 2 times in the theater..opening night. Sammy I think just watched ROS just 2?3? times. It matters.. I watched TFA 11 or 12 times in the theater.. and though RoS has brought me back to a degree I will probably cap it at 7 or 8..

I think I agree that Kennedy will go. I hope they dont just try to copy MSU because Star Wars isnt the same. Id like them to have one person in charge of the whole story who makes it all up themself..so there is a coherent whole.

I slightly disagree with Sammy.. I think May releases work better for Star Wars movies for a combination of reasons including free time, kids schedules, money available and mood..and to be honest, toy sales. Its hard to target Xmas sales at kids when they wont see the movie to get excited until a few days before Xmas.

Im interested, but no longer edge of my seat excited to see where we go from here.

• Highly unlikely any Star Wars movie will ever make $2B again. Even that $1B number may be hard to hit regularly going forward. But if they can do similar numbers to the MCU averages I think they'll be in good shape.

The whole having toys ready for Christmas is the perfect argument for releasing the movies in May. But I have to say that Star Wars becoming a Christmas tradition is one of my favorite things. It just feels right to me. But of course I'll take them whenever they decide to put them out.

Btw a 2022 release is a 3 year break, assuming they stick with December. I think the only way they push back any further would be if they're having a difficult time deciding exactly what movie to make. And I absolutely disagree that we need one person to be developing all the stories, we just need the story group to oversee things more closely than they have been, though I don't have nearly as much beef with the way the sequel trilogy played out as some do. It has issues for sure, but I still think that 9 could have been more tightly related to 7 & 8 if JJ hadn't felt like he had to make Fast & Furious in space to appease the angry fans.

• To clarify: For pre-planned trilogies, I think it makes sense to have the whole thing written out before they make the movies. I don't really care if it's one person's vision or a team of writers doing it, but I definitely understand the desire for a more cohesive, tonally consistent trilogy.

• It seems there is some turmoil going on at Disney in the Star Wars.. department? Hearing more and more about how there were non JJ Abrams wanted changes and edits.. thyeve had trouble keeping people on board and if these rumors are true (or if people just believe them) then its going to get it harder.

Youre right, of course, 2022 would be 3 years. Im kind of doubtful about at this point. They apparently went fan service with RoS, thats the consensus anyway, and ended up alienating even more people..or disappointing them. Of course people will go see stuff, but you make the big bucks by getting the casual fans and not so innocent people to see and the big fans to see it many times.. Dont know that this is possible now.

I agree that is ok to be a group if its a small group.. but I still think stories are best thought of by one person because he or she knows his own "universe" without having to have had explained every part..so there are likely to be fewer contradictions and what not. But the main thing is to have the who thing at least outlined before making the first one, for sure.

If were in the States Id probably be more into the Christmas Star Wars thing.. but Im not that bothered when released. I jsut hope , like sammy was saying..the release them when it makes sense to release them. Dont put out a bad product for the sake of a day on a calendar..we will wait.

• @Veda-the-Moor said in The FUTURE of Star Wars TV & Movies:

If were in the States Id probably be more into the Christmas Star Wars thing.. but Im not that bothered when released. I jsut hope , like sammy was saying..the release them when it makes sense to release them. Dont put out a bad product for the sake of a day on a calendar..we will wait.
    And let's be real, I would watch Star Wars movies (at least its initial release) if they only played them on a Wednesday at 12:00PM.

"Sorry Boss, I gotta take a 2.5+ hour PTO to watch a movie. No, I'm not answering my phone or e-mails. Bye."

• Rumors that the Obi-Wan series has been put "on hold" though nothing official or any trusted sources have been named. Not a good sign especially considering it sounds like Kathleen Kennedy is unhappy with the scripts. Which I think is a red flag because at this point I'd be more like to trust creatives like Hossein Amini & Deborah Chow than Kennedy with that part of the process.

https://collider.com/obi-wan-series-delayed-disney-plus/

• I've read that they don't have enough scripts to complete a full 6-episode season.

They are also concerned that there's too much overlap that may look like the Mandalorian and Baby Yoda; obviously that means too much of Obi-Wan helping a young Luke.

• I just finished 7 and working my way through them. I'll say my opinion of Star wars has changed for the better. Loving it so far.

• Looks like Ewan McGregor (Obi-wan) is openly disputing all the rumors of Obi-wan getting stalled. He said that filming was moved from January to August but it's not due to script issues. Hes saying all of this as his latest movie is getting ready to be release where he plays a DC villain, the Black Mask.

Since its January now and filming is getting pushed back 7ish months, I think the rumors could lead to concern but they may not be based in reality like Ewan is saying. Either way, it looks like that will eat up some time before the show comes out sadly.

• I think Id like this as a show:

Right around the time of ROTJ.. a TIE fighter squadron..maybe with a TIE Interceptor.. gets assigned to a semi-important system because it has a cool resource and has been under sporadic attack. They assume by rebels.

They get there...and they hate the people. and the people hate them. But they hate the periodic raiders even more.

When the Battle of Endor happens.. and the Death Star II is blown up.. etc.. everyone who knew who they were and why they were there is gone. There is no record they exist. No one is coming to relieve them.

The raiders end up not being Rebels and the attacks are getting bigger. The squadron must learn to get along with the Natives of the system, earn a place..and find out who the raiders are.

I dont want shows and stand alones about people we already know. But thats just me it seems.

• @Veda-the-Moor Ok.... Ok.... Now we're talking! I'd totally watch that! Of course, I'm a slut for the Star Wars movies so that may not be saying much. But that sounds like a cool movie!

• alt text

That's almost what happened in the Battlefront II story; a squad of elite TIE pilots are on a mission when the 2nd Death Star blows up and the aftermath. The key difference is that they are a known group; Inferno Squadron.

• alt text

She's also in the X-Wing Miniatures game. Great pilot skill; helped me negate a ton of damage that Tony was laying on me.

• OH.. I havent played that. Well..still different and I want to focus on the relationship a thugish military has with a native population once they dont have the total upper hand...

Thats a great pilot ability!

• https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/future-star-wars-will-be-tv-confirms-disney-boss-100500007.html

I dont know..it doesnt sound like 2022 is going to happen to me.. thats now less than 2 years away and we dont have a director.. much less a script or pre production..

• I don't mind them taking a break from a Star Wars movie since there's no idea who will be at the helm.

They really need to lock into a story/trilogy architect. They can't allow someone to sign up for one movie and then bounce.

The more time they take away (focusing on TV) is fine with me as long as the TV continues to be top-notch like the Mandalorian.

Rumors of Knight of the Old Republic keep surfacing but I hate the idea that we can only see this limited view of stuff we have already known. We'll see what gets announced next but right now it's just the Mandalorian, Obi-Wan, Clone Wars and.....

• alt text

Entertainment Tonight

The Cassian Andor show on Disney+ is going to start filming this year.

Diego Luna (Andor) spoke with Entertainment Tonight:

Yes, we are doing it. We are doing it this year. It’s happening, and I’m getting ready for it.
    I can’t wait. It is really cool to tell a story where you already know the ending. It is a different approach because of the beauty and it’s how things happen. It’s not just what happens. It’s not the typical way of approaching a story. It’s about how things happen, which in fact, is the same that happened in Rogue One. You know the ending, but you don’t know how it happened, and we have that challenge in front of us again, which is exciting.

• Diego Luna is super watchable so this should be alright, but Im not sure it would be my first choice. But obviously Im going to watch!

• I love Diego Luna and Alan Tudyk as Cassian Andor and K2SO.

I am more excited for this series than Obi-wan because Rogue One > All the Prequels.

• For sure am looking forward to this more than Obi-Wan..