Message from the Hawks Cast Team || Hawks Cast Forum Rules

Why does our Defense suck so bad? (no whining thread)

• Ok..so we are awful on defense. We make every quarterback look good. And I can say we suck.

So.. whats the reason? Because on paper we arent THAT bad. Who are we overestimating? Or is the scheme bad?

When we go through our players we dont tend to say they suck.. maybe Ansah sucks this year.

So.. whats going on?

Is Wagner over the hill or losing it? Is KJ past his prime? Is Ford regressing? Almost certainly Ansah's surgery on his shoulder is holding him back more than expected..? Kendricks has missed tackles.

Did we put together a roster we thought was so so on defense only to find out its way below average? Are we over estimating even Blair and McDougal?

• I'm not an x's and o's guy so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Our D problems start with the D-line.

• Our star DT, Jarran Reed, was suspended 6 weeks.

• The big trade for all-world Jadeveon Clowney was late in the season so he missed training camp and preseason. He's also being used differently than he was in Texas.

• Our other big DL Signing was Ziggy Ansah who has been injured and has missed considerable time.

• 1st round pick LJ Collier hasn't been a factor.

Jarran Reed, Clowney and Ansah are starters on our current defensive line. They've had only a few weeks playing together. Pete made me a big believer in continuity by keeping the amazing LOB defense together for as long as he did. The fates aligned in a bad way for the D-line this season. One full offseason of work together and I believe they will be performing at a much higher level.

Too much is being asked of our LB's. The Hawks have been playing base defense a lot this year. As unusual as it is in this league to play base against 3 or 4 WR sets, The Seahawks still did it. It could have been more successful, imo, had the Dline been able to get regular pressure on the QB. The LB's are capable of handling the WR's but for a limited time. Without QB pressure, the WR's have time get away from them and get open. It's hard enough for smaller and faster DB's to stay with them but to ask a LB to do it is unfair. Unfortunately, the only way the Hawks can get QB pressure is to blitz LB's. Mychael Kendricks is the teams "sack master" with 3 sacks. The LB's duties seem to have tripled into being all things for the defense even more so than usual: Pass rushers, defensive backs and finally, linebackers.

The secondary has a bright spot: Shaquill Griffin. He's making plays left and right but that's where standout secondary play ends. Trey Flowers hasn't shown much progression from a promising season last year. Tedrick Thompson, (now on IR) if you believe the reports from players and coaches about practice sessions, has not translated his play from practice to the field. McDougald is consistent. A good player but not a world beater. the Hawks have no nickel corner to speak of at least until Quandre Diggs overcomes his Hammy and can play. Marquise Blair has come on to really show some heady play as a rookie at Safety. With Diggs and Blair there is hope this group can improve.

In summary, the defense is all out of whack and we're not seeing a single position group improve as that season progresses. As fans we're used to seeing things come together buy midseason and the team making a November-December run. This season the defense is basically the same the entire season. With Blair's addition to the starting lineup and Diggs getting healthy and likely plugged into the nickel corner spot, the secondary has a chance to improve. The defensive line is another story. Coach Pete Carroll keeps saying it's going to click soon but so far it's been a long wait. I'm of the mind that the Dline is what it is and if the Hawks want to get QB pressure, they must become a blitzing team. With an improved secondary, it may have a chance to work.

• Wyman's Football 101: Are Seahawks' defensive woes as bad as we think?

Youtube Video

• Here's something I looked up about this. According to stats on NFL.com, we're the 25th ranked defense. When you break that down for vs pass and vs run.....28th vs the pass.....vs the run....13th.....so I don't think you can look at the LB's as the main culprit. Obviously, they have pass defense duties, but they're good against the run. Maybe one of the reasons we're not doing well vs the pass is that, yes our corners are suspect, but also that we're making teams one dimensional and they HAVE to pass. It's going to pad the stats somewhat.

I'm not saying that they'd be even 20th if we weren't good against the run but I'm betting it'd have an effect on the ranking.

• Love that stat! Don't get me wrong, I don't think the LB's are the main culprit at all! The defensive line is. The LB's are being asked to do too much, in my opinion, by more than occasionally being made to defend WR's. The lack of playable DB's kind of put them in that position. The Hawks can either play a nickel DB who they deem as not ready or an exceptional LB. Even though I believe LB's versus WR's are a liability for the defense, playing exceptional LB's over sub-par DB's versus WR's is the better choice.

Blair is now upgrading T2's spot and hopefully Diggs will allow us to get a LB off the field on obvious passing downs. Usually you want to build a defense front to back. It just so happens the secondary has the better chance of improving over the first half of the season through these additions. Just having more options like this is gonna help this defense overall by taking some coverage responsibilities off the LB's and hopfully tightening coverage for the DL to get home.

Unfortunately, I think the DL is what it is. If they are to get pressure and sacks the rest of the defense will have to help through creative blitzing and tight coverage.

• I think that one of the things that holds Seattle back is their general defensive philosophy is that they want to keep everything in front of the LBs and DBs to force teams to get small chunk plays to score. The idea is that their pass-rush will get to the QB and force errors and incompletitions.

Offenses are attacking this by creating easier catches off slants, screens, pick-plays and quick throws so that our pass rush is completely neutralized. If the ball is out quickly, then no pass rush will get to the QB.

But the problem is now that even when teams have long-developing plays, our pass rush still fails to get pressure. I think that Pete/Norton's philosophy is being put to the test with so many new faces that are not really seasoned in their roles. On our DL, the only ones with games of experience in this system is Reed, and Jefferson. Everyone else has less than a year of starts under their belt in this system.

Does that mean we need to rely more on vets? I'm not sure.

The DBs are doing what is expected; don't give up the big play. In the TB game, I saw that Griffin was getting beat because he wasn't lined up against the WR or they were running pick-plays. This means that our secondary is not equipped to just let our guys run man because we may not have enough experience. Maybe that's also the reason why we can throw a former Safety-turned-Corner out on an island by themselves (Flowers).

My hope is that more time in this system will help them find a good line-up and hopefully we'll start see better results as the year progresses. I do not trust our defense to hold leads now but for our offense to keep scoring.

• @sammyc521 said in Why does our Defense suck so bad? (no whining thread):

I think that one of the things that holds Seattle back is their general defensive philosophy is that they want to keep everything in front of the LBs and DBs to force teams to get small chunk plays to score. The idea is that their pass-rush will get to the QB and force errors and incompletitions.
    Offenses are attacking this by creating easier catches off slants, screens, pick-plays and quick throws so that our pass rush is completely neutralized. If the ball is out quickly, then no pass rush will get to the QB.

Excellent point Sammy. I agree completely.